We’ve got a 4-in-1 special for our readers today! Poached from the Lunchbox Bunch, this recipe takes some doing but is delicious once it’s done.
Kale Avocado Wraps w/ Spicy Miso-Dipped Tempeh.↓
• Miso Dressing
• Miso-Dipped Chipotle Tempeh Logs
• Raw Kale Salad
• The Wrap (or you can do a tortilla-less version and serve in a bowl)
• 3 Tbsp white miso paste (fridge section – tub)
• 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 2 Tbsp agave or maple syrup (I like to use 1 Tbsp of each)
• A few dashes black pepper
• 1-2 Tbsp your favorite healthy-fat oil (light version: sub added oil with water!)
• (Optional) 1 tsp tahini (adds a nutty flavor and added richness)
Briskly stir until smooth. This dressing will be used for the salad and for the tempeh. Note that miso paste is quite salty
Miso-Dipped Chipotle Tempeh Logs.↓
• 1 package tempeh, sliced into 8 logs
• tiny drizzle of oil for saute pan
• chipotle powder
• black pepper
• Miso Dressing (recipe above)
• (Optionsl: try a few drops vegan liquid smoke too!)
Heat the oil in your saute pan.
Dip about half the tempeh log into miso dressing – it should coat it nicely. (If your dressing is too thin, try adding in another spoonful of miso paste)
Lay dipped tampeh logs on hot pan – then sprinkle each log with a few dashes of chipotle powder and black pepper – allow logs to cook for about a minute on each side – or until all sides are caramelized and browned. Do not overly-blacken tempeh as this will burnt he delicate flavors.
Remove from pan – transfer to plate and set aside to cool for use in wraps or salads.
Raw Kale Salad.↓
• 1 bunch kale (I used purple kale)
• 2-3 Tbsp white miso dressing (above)
• 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
• 1 tomato, diced or thinly sliced
• avocado, thinly sliced or diced
Remove kale leaves from thick stems and chop into small pieces.
Wash kale well.
Their Process: I rinse the kale in warm-hot water. Then immedietly rinse in very cold water + a cup of ice cubes. Then I drain the water and sither spin the leaves dry or pat with a paper towel.
Transfer washed/dried kale to large bowl and toss with the dressing and onions. You can add in other fridge-friendly veggies like carrots, cucumber, celery, radishes and many more.
Fold in tomatoes and avocado or add as toppings later.
Use salad in wraps, serve or store covered int he fridge until ready to serve. Note: if storing kale salad in the fridge you want to use a minimal amount of dressing so that you do not make the texture soggy. About 1-2 Tbsp should be enough to lightly wet your kale leaves.
Full Service Wrap or Salad.↓
• Wraps (per large wrap):
• 1/2 cup kale salad
• 2-3 slices avocado
• 1-3 slices tomato
• 1-2 tempeh logs
• 1 sprouted grain tortilla wrap (or another variety)
Wrap and serve or store in the fridge until ready to serve. You can serve stored wraps chilled or warm in the oven before serving.
Quiet Lunch is a grassroot online publication that seeks to promote various aspects of life and culture with a loving, but brute, educational tinge. When we say, “Creative Sustenance Daily,” we mean it.